Sunday, April 30, 2006

Reds & Yellows

I am a RED fan. I am also a YELLOW fan.
When the two come together, I am E N R A P T U R E D!
Mosaic Reds & Yellows
And as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, the view-finder in my camera will gravitate towards such bright sunny colors. These cheery mosaic walls can be found at Clarke Quay, Singapore and they are a beautiful reminder of how colorful the sixties and seventies eras were, when such walls would not have been considered too garish and outlandish. A wonderful inspiration should I ever redecorate my kitchen!

With red generally denoting robustness and energy, and yellow symbolising happiness and sunshine, is it any wonder that in the science of food imagery, food-related items with these two hues would be more attractive and appetizing, as compared, to blue-colored items - to illustrate, how many blue items did you eat today? Other than blueberries (which are not really blue, more prussian dark blue) and maybe blue icing (though, I shudder at even that), there are very few blue-hued food which do not cause you to throw up, feel queasy or just turn your appetite upside-down!

According to Wikipedia, red, along with yellow and orange, is thought to provoke hunger, hence its use in logos by food vendors. Think McDonald's, Burger King, Long John Silver's...

Not one to disprove such theories, here's a shot to whet your appetite - a yellow fluffy herbed omelette with a red cherry tomatoes, onion and green chillies salsa.
Tomato Salsa Omelette
If you are interested in making the tomato salsa, it's as easy as 'abc':
  • slice into half a handful of cherry tomatoes
  • slice a quarter of one big yellow onion and half a green chilli
  • roughly chop some cilantro leaves
  • add all of the above in a bowl together with some olive oil (about a tablespoon), juice from half a lime (about a tablespoon), salt and black pepper, and stir together.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clarke Quay again? :D hehehe ...
red n yellow is too much for me in the house but I won't mind if it's the colors of food :)
yummie omelette, always my fav

4/30/2006 02:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that omelete looks good!

4/30/2006 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

dear slurp, had a couple of CQuay pics in the archive-lah, not that I visit it that often :D

thanks a lot, clare, nice to see u again!

5/01/2006 08:43:00 AM  
Blogger shaz said...

i love mosaic. My kitchen is covered in pink mosaic! :)

5/01/2006 05:44:00 PM  
Blogger boo_licious said...

I love those colours and that tomato salsa had me resisting to not lick my screen.

5/02/2006 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

shaz - I'm so envious that you have pink kitchen mosaic - please post a pic on your blog so that I can just twist myself into a green-horned monster :)

boo_licious - looks like the red & yellow theory is not disproved after all :)

5/03/2006 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger Parisbreakfasts said...

Beautiful pictures and such intense colors! Delicious...thanks

5/03/2006 05:26:00 PM  
Blogger seventh stranger said...

hey, actually your pics looks as good as the food! fab....

what cam do you use when you take your pictures when you're out and about? u mean, u carry your slr cam?

cool.... it making me hungryyyy!

5/08/2006 01:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home