Sunday, July 24, 2005

Strawberry Ice Cream Soda & Buttermilk Cake

Ice-Cream-Soda
With the warm weather that we've been having, this strawberry ice-cream soda was a deliciously lazy way of cooling down. Equally lazy ways include turning on the air-conditioner but where's the fun in that?

I had made a batch of strawberry ice-cream a couple of days back, together with some raspberry sauce to go with a buttermilk cake (see pic below). Inspired by the Kiwi-Pop in Changing Appetites, I stirred 3 tablespoons of my homemade raspberry sauce with 3 tablespoons of heavy cream in a tall glass (whipping it slightly), poured in chilled Schweppes soda water and happily enjoyed watching my soda grow until it overflowed onto the kitchen counter, at which point it stopped being fun. Caution for future sodas: pour soda in sl..ow..ly.. My scoop of strawberry ice-cream went on top, but I believe I was a little heavy-handed with size of scoop - by the time I located camera, my ice-cream was sinking!
Buttermilk-Cake-w-Strawberr
The buttermilk cake with raspberry sauce comes from Bill Granger's Bill's Food. It's a light buttery cake (not too rich in taste that you'll immediately worry about calories) and the pairing with the sweet tarty raspberry sauce gives the cake a really nice additional lift. Adding that one cup of buttermilk (replacing, of course, the usual quarter or half cup of milk) and an additional half cup of flour (total of 2 cups) to an ordinary butter-cake recipe (125g unsalted butter to 250g caster sugar) made quite a lot of difference to the texture of the cake. The raspberry sauce is simple: dissolve half a cup of sugar in a quarter cup water with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and cook for a few minutes before adding 200g raspberries and cooking for a couple more minutes. Puree and sauce is ready for use when cooled.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a pretty strawberry ice-cream soda! I was going to ask you which cafe you were had it. But you did manage to catch the ball of ice-cream nicely, just before it went down! The buttermilk cake sounds lovely too.

7/24/2005 11:37:00 PM  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Cath, I just came over from a raspberry tartlet site and now this. Oh no, my saliva is dripping as that looks so great.

By the way, I have been meaning to ask you but keep forgetting - what brand is your ice cream maker? I have been toying with the idea of getting one in Spore as the shops may have more choices.

7/25/2005 05:20:00 PM  
Blogger eat stuff said...

They both look GREAT! YUM!!!!
Home made Strawberry Ice cream? I want some! I just have to continue on the I need an icecreammaker brainwash programming I am currently performing ;)

7/25/2005 08:53:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi julia - yup, my ice-cream sank right to the bottom after pic tho!

hi boo_licious, my humble icecream maker is from Kenwood (less than S$100) and freezes the mixture within 20 to 30 minutes while the paddle twirls slowly within - very fun especially the last part when consistency reaches the soft ice cream stage! There are, of course, more expensive professional models that may set you back by a couple of hundred to a thousand dollars (e.g. musso) but I can't justify the purchase as yet!

hi clare - keep up the brainwash...I can tell ur almost there... and just about taste it in ur mind!

7/25/2005 09:53:00 PM  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Cath, the Kenwood one sounds good enough for me. Guess I should really redeem those Citibank points to get one.

7/26/2005 07:21:00 PM  
Blogger Asmaa said...

Wow, that's like torture. Oh, what I'd give to have that in front of me. *drools*

Okay, I'll stop now :D

1/24/2006 01:44:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks asmaa.. it does look inviting doesn't it?

1/24/2006 05:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home