Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Down, Down, Down the Rabbit Hole!

'Down, down, down. Would the fall never come to an end!'..... 'I wonder if I shall fall right through the earth!' - quoted from Alice in Wonderland as she tumbled down the rabbit hole chasing after the White Rabbit. And if you've ever felt like you've been sucked into a whirlpool of chaos whether at work or at home, and falling uncontrollably into unknown depths, this picture (of a garden pathway) may evoke some of those feelings.
Down the Garden Path
Over the weekend as part of a 'de-stressing regime', I was playing around with my latest toy lens, the Lensbaby 2.0 (a selective focus lens) and what a wonderful exercise it was in creativity and possibilities. Getting behind this tilt-shift-like lens is quite a challenge, especially when trying to grip the lens to focus on the 'sweet spot' (or the focus area) and then tilting it slightly to achieve that graduated blurring effect, all done while holding the camera at the same time with the index finger on the shutter button. Admittedly, the fingers got a bit cramped after the session but the results are quite nice, don't you think so?

`I wish I hadn't cried so much!' said Alice, as she swam about, trying to find her way out. `I shall be punished for it now, I suppose, by being drowned in my own tears! That WILL be a queer thing, to be sure! However, everything is queer to-day.' - quoted from the 2nd Chapter (The Pool of Tears) of Alice in Wonderland
Tears in your Eye
I had titled the above picture "Tears in your Eye" - as it was such a 'queer' photo, reminding me of an eyeball crying! The 'eyeball' was actually a small gurgling water fountain set in a little man-made pool in a little garden I discovered at Alexandra Hospital (which I was exploring with my lensbaby while hubby was busy getting some stuff at Queensway Shopping Center).

Resting Place
And finally, when the fingers were all cramped up, I switched back to my normal camera lens to capture this seat in the shady crook of a large tree which looked very inviting indeed - a place to sit back, close your eyes, soak in a bit of sun-rays, and let your mind float away from all the hustle and bustle of life in the city.

Finding that little bit of 'quiet' every once in a while helps to recharge me for the next round of chaos waiting to tumble out of my 'rabbit-hole'.

9 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

Wow--what a wonderful new "toy". Great pics--very interesting. Thanks for stopping by.

3/15/2006 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger sOnG said...

cheers...think the path was at AH..right?

3/15/2006 06:39:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks fran, and it was pleasure to drop by your blog!

hi sOnG, yup, the garden path is at AH leading up to the bus-stop. Been there, have you?

3/15/2006 08:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like a fun fun fun toy, the results are amazing! not too sure i can manage this until i get a external trigger button :P

AH have one butterfly garden (think join effort with singapore butterfly interest group) which grows plants for attracting butterflies. not too sure if that's the same patch you are refering to.

3/16/2006 12:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some times photography is like that for me too; a place to rest and recharge.

I like that last shot with the detail on the bench. The light is lovely. The strange weeping eyeball and virtiginous path are also great fun.

3/17/2006 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi slurp!, the lensbaby is really a fun toy, just takes a little practice. Not sure if the garden I went to was the butterfly one cos' I didn't see a single butterfly!

dear pfong - photography is becoming for me a great outlet (for stress) apart from cooking, thanks for comments :)

3/18/2006 09:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting shots!

3/18/2006 05:48:00 PM  
Blogger boo_licious said...

I love all the pixs - they really look like a fantastic way to destress.

3/19/2006 04:55:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks dsd and boo_licious, am glad that you enjoyed them!

3/20/2006 09:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home