Monday, May 08, 2006

For the Cookie Monster

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me!"
This is my hubby's favourite line from Sesame Street - in fact, the only one that he remembers to this day as he mimics from time to time that little ditty sung by the blue Cookie Monster.
For the Cookie Monster
My own lovable Cookie Monster at home had been nagging me for weeks about the lack of cookies in the cookie jar, and it didn't help that I had forbidden him to purchase any from the supermarket (can't bring myself to pay for dry and sometimes tasteless cookies in packets when one can so easily make a batch at home in half an hour).

The nagging reached a certain crescendo last weekend and I found myself in the kitchen weighing the usual suspects of flour, butter and sugar. As my Cookie Monster will only allow rolled oats to enter his diet in the form of cookies, I normally make oatmeal cookies. This time around, I added raisins (instead of chocolate chips) and for experiment sake, some Chocolate-flavoured Horlicks malt powder (out of a complimentary promotion pack). Ended up with fragrant slightly chewy (soft-centered) cookies which I like! Cookie Monster has been placated for the moment, or at least until the cookie jar empties again!
Cookies & Milk Raisin Oatmeal Cookies
If you are interested to try your hands at these 'no-sweat' cookies:
  • Cream 1/2 cup of brown sugar and half a block of softened butter (125g) in an electric mixer until light and creamy.
  • Add 1 egg to the mixture and stirred until mixed thoroughly.
  • Add 1 and 1/2 cups of plain flour, 1/2 cup of Horlicks powder, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 cup of rolled oats and 1/2 cup of raisins to the bowl and mix to combine.
  • Drop 1 heaped tablespoon of the cookie mixture on the baking trays lined with baking paper and flatten slightly each heaped mixture.
  • Bake in a preheated 160C oven for about 20 minutes or so.
  • Remove and cool on wire racks before storing in an air-tight container.
  • This recipe makes about 25 to 30 cookies depending on how heaped your tablespoon of cookie mixture is!
Soyamilk in a Bottle
Just recently, we saw this promotion for soyabean milk sold in bottles at Giant supermarket. It's been a long time since I drank my soymilk straight from the bottle instead of tetrapacks and milk-cartons. A Saturday afternoon, an ice-cold bottle of milk, a couple of cookies, an inviting comfy sofa - now, where is that remote control for the TV?

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the milk bottle as much as the cookies :)

5/09/2006 01:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The soymilk bottle is really cute and your cookies look yummy!

5/09/2006 03:10:00 AM  
Blogger seventh stranger said...

hey, i'm the C monster too!!!!

nice
I:S

5/09/2006 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger shaz said...

great pixs! yummy combi that wins everytime

5/09/2006 11:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea!
hmmm I wonder how they would be with some ovaltine or milo in them.... :)

5/09/2006 03:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here, nowadays I prefer to make my own cookies.

Have never thought of adding Horlicks to my oatmeal cookies, it is a very good idea because MIL and husband like Horlicks. Thanks!

5/09/2006 05:19:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks, keiko and linda, not only was the bottle good-looking, its contents quite thirst-quenching as well!

7th stranger, I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few cookie monsters abound in this wide wide world of ours :)

thanks, shaz :)

dear clare, I should think it would be jsut as nice with ovaltine or milo too!

hi umami, I can tell from your blog that you have definitely been bitten by the baking bug!

5/09/2006 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those cookies look very yummy! As usual, your pictures are great and taken with a lot of skill!...

5/10/2006 03:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

argthhh ... I'm on diet!!! :P these are too tempting :(
i have not tried thsoe vitamilk from thailand, gotta buy some one of these days.

5/11/2006 12:20:00 AM  
Blogger Audrey Cooks said...

Lovely cookies! can just imagine the crunch when biting into it!

5/11/2006 09:25:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks, rosa, nice to see u again :)

slurp, the vitamilk bottles are retailing on promotion for less than $2 for 3 bottles (a very good deal)!

thanks, audrey - the top layer is crunchy but the center is chewy soft..nice contrast!

5/12/2006 06:21:00 PM  
Blogger Audrey Cooks said...

Hey Cath, lately my hands are itching to bake crispy, crunchy cookies just like the ones from Pepperidge Farm. Any advise, uh?

6/28/2006 07:17:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi audrey, I've tried a desiccated coconut cookie once that turned out to be pretty crispy and crunchy but not many people like desiccated coconut. If you're using a standard chocolate chip cookie recipe, why not experiment by replacing the butter in the recipe with shortening to see if it works (or maybe half butter, half shortening). Also, try flattening the spoonful of cookie on the baking tray for larger surface contact with heat. Let me know if it works!

6/28/2006 10:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home