Quickie Dinner A La Salmon
Salmon and Soba
Originally uploaded by eatzycath.
I am begining to discover that cooking for one can be really fun. With hubby away on a business trip, I can experiment to my heart's content without worrying about his food likes/dislikes. Pulled out Bill Granger's "Bill's Food" and saw this really simple recipe called 'Crispy-skinned salmon with fresh noodle salad and soy dressing'. The original recipe actually called for egg noodles and finely julienned cucumber and daikon radish, all of which I did not have in the kitchen (only had the salmon fillets). Missing ingredients were substituted with soba noodles and 'dou miao' (pea-shoots).
- brush salmon fillets with oil and season liberally with sea-salt and black pepper
- cook salmon on heated frying pan for 2 mins or so on each side
- prepare soy dressing by stirring together 1 tsp sesame oil, 4 tbsps soy sauce, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp caster sugar, and 4 tbsps lime juice (as I was cooking for one, the portions above may be a little different from the original recipe - do add or reduce according to taste)
- place cooked soba noodles on plate, add the cooked 'dou miao' and salmon fillets on top
- finally drizzle with soy dressing (as I wasn't quite into cold dressing, I heated the mixture in the frying pan for a very short while before I drizzled over the noodles and salmon)