IMBB#16 - Frutti Frittata
Eggs are a delight to eat and to play around with in the kitchen (and I don't mean juggling which is absolutely hazardous to the environs). Being of generous nature, eggs lend themselves easily to other ingredients to create truly wonderful dishes, and yet an egg when cooked perfectly (soft-boiled, poached, scrambled or sunny side-up) is more than capable of taking centre-stage. When this month's IMBB theme was announced, I scratched my little head on what would be a nice offering to Humpty Dumpty (sadly, the only acting role ever given to the humble egg). Reading Viv's post on the subject, she had indicated that frutti tutti had been one of her alternate choices, and so I present this humble offering of fruits (strawberries and blueberries) on eggs, in the form of a FRUTTI FRITTATA.
The recipe itself is simplicity personified (20 minutes maximum):
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Whisk 4 large or 5 medium sized eggs in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of thick cream, 1 tablespoon of sugar and half a teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional) to eggs and whisk until combined.
- Melt about 1 teaspoon of butter in a non-stick frying pan, and pour egg mixture into pan.
- Cook for about 2 minutes over medium heat until egg is just set.
- Arrange the cut strawberries (about 200g) and blueberries (about 120g) on top of the frittata.
- Transfer the pan under the preheated grill and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes or until the frittata is puffed and golden.
- Plate the frittata and sprinkle icing sugar.
My only complaint = the punnet of strawberries I bought unfortunately were not all that ripe to begin with, so instead of being totally sweet, they were slightly tart, thus accounting for the heavy hand in the icing sugar topping! For the truly decadent, serve with dollop(s) of cream or ice-cream of choice.