Friday, June 24, 2005

IMBB#16 - Frutti Frittata

Just found out that Viv from Seattle Bon Vivant is hosting this month's Is My Blog Burning? (IMBB) #16, and she has decided on EGGS as the theme, which is just great as I'm a cholesterol-imbibing eggie.

Eggs are a delight to eat and to play around with in the kitchen (and I don't mean juggling which is absolutely hazardous to the environs). Being of generous nature, eggs lend themselves easily to other ingredients to create truly wonderful dishes, and yet an egg when cooked perfectly (soft-boiled, poached, scrambled or sunny side-up) is more than capable of taking centre-stage. When this month's IMBB theme was announced, I scratched my little head on what would be a nice offering to Humpty Dumpty (sadly, the only acting role ever given to the humble egg). Reading Viv's post on the subject, she had indicated that frutti tutti had been one of her alternate choices, and so I present this humble offering of fruits (strawberries and blueberries) on eggs, in the form of a FRUTTI FRITTATA.
Fruittee-Frittata
The recipe itself is simplicity personified (20 minutes maximum):
  • Preheat grill to medium-high.
  • Whisk 4 large or 5 medium sized eggs in a bowl.
  • Add 1 tablespoon of thick cream, 1 tablespoon of sugar and half a teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional) to eggs and whisk until combined.
  • Melt about 1 teaspoon of butter in a non-stick frying pan, and pour egg mixture into pan.
  • Cook for about 2 minutes over medium heat until egg is just set.
  • Arrange the cut strawberries (about 200g) and blueberries (about 120g) on top of the frittata.
  • Transfer the pan under the preheated grill and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes or until the frittata is puffed and golden.
  • Plate the frittata and sprinkle icing sugar.

Fruittee-Frittata-2 My only complaint = the punnet of strawberries I bought unfortunately were not all that ripe to begin with, so instead of being totally sweet, they were slightly tart, thus accounting for the heavy hand in the icing sugar topping! For the truly decadent, serve with dollop(s) of cream or ice-cream of choice.

13 Comments:

Blogger junebee said...

I have never cooked eggs with frui t but this sure looks tasty.

6/24/2005 09:35:00 AM  
Blogger eat stuff said...

This looks fantastic!
Well done :)

6/24/2005 12:00:00 PM  
Blogger Mika said...

It looks so delicious with the berries. Almost like a pizza. Some mascarpone cream would be a terrific side for sure. This goes into my must-try list.

6/25/2005 12:47:00 AM  
Blogger the baker said...

yes oh my... a sweet fruity frittata! yummy... i wish i could have a slice right now... good job you =)

hey i'm not sure if you've been tagged for the cookbook meme that's been going around so i tagged you.

see http://thebakerwhocooks.blogspot.com/2005/06/cookbook-meme.html
for more details...

cheers!

6/25/2005 03:55:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear junebee - I love eggs and fruits too, so it was only a matter of time!
Hi clare - thanks!
Hi mika - yup, cream is good, vanilla ice-cream even better, then you'll have both hot and cold sensations!
Dear baker - wish I could send a slice to you too, thanks for tagging me, I will now have to 'seriously' think about my haphazard cookbook collection!

6/27/2005 09:46:00 AM  
Blogger Joycelyn said...

hi eatzycath
very inventive! can just taste it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...yummy...

6/27/2005 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger Michèle said...

Hi,
this is the first time I've come across your blog, I love the frutti frittata! What an unusual combination. It looks so beautiful, i cant wait to try it. Nicely done!

6/30/2005 01:31:00 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

A sweet frittata! How unusual, what a great idea. And it looks lovely.

6/30/2005 08:36:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi J, Michele and Nupur - thanks for the very kind words!!

6/30/2005 11:24:00 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Your fruitatta is very much like one of those cop thrillers, where - after the killer and the motive is finally revealed - you slap your head and think "Of course! Why didn't I think of this before!" It looks cool, and will give me a great excuse to use up the last of my current bottle of vanilla extract.

7/08/2005 07:44:00 AM  
Blogger Ana said...

Beautiful fruitatta Eatzybitzy! And so easy to do...I'll have to try it.

7/09/2005 11:45:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi Martin - your comment on cop thrillers 'cracked' me up!
hi Ana - hope you enjoy yours as much as I did mine, and especially hope that your strawberries will be sweeter than mine was! :)

7/11/2005 06:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this one looks very delicious!

2/06/2009 12:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home