Jeanne at Cook Sister!
is hosting this blog event called EoMEoTE #7 (otherwise known as the End of Month Egg on Toast Extravaganza), which basically invites bloggers to send in a post with photos (if possible) on a dish with eggs and bread as its main ingredients. This is my first time participating in a food blog event and what an enjoyable start it's been(bean?) - as this month's EoMEoTE requires a limerick as part of the posting. Really had a great time coming up with this:
There once was an Egg in the Pan
Whose pals had been Beans from the Can
They swore ne'er to part
Til the very last fart
And such a grand Pong they did Plan !
Beans Omelette Pillow
As the limerick suggested, I opened a small 230g can of baked beans
for this dish.
- Chop a little garlic (about 1 tablespoon) and 2 slices of bacon.
- Chop 2 spicy Italian sausages into large chunks (you can use your favourite sausages, mine is the Italian one as it's got a nice herby and slightly spicy taste)
- Fry the garlic, bacon and sausages together with a little olive oil until fragrant (just a few minutes).
- Add baked beans into mixture, stir and add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Remove beans mixture and set aside.
- Fry up omelette (I use 3 beaten eggs for this dish), remove to plate and place beans mixture in the center before folding omelette in half.
- Garnish with required bread toast.
Why do beans cause flatulence? For the scientific answer, turn to Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
, and you will be treated to 2 whole pages (in fine print) on how oligosaccharides
(type of linked sugar molecules) found in beans (the family of legumes) are the main culprits. Yawn! For laughs, skip straight to Fart and Humor
(beware - not for the faint-hearted) - I particularly like these two jokes:
- Why do farts stink? So that deaf people can enjoy them also! [a joke! a joke! please take no offence]
- "A sigh is but a breath of air that issues from the heart; But when it takes a DOWNWARD course, it's simply called a FART!"
For the record, at time of posting (which is approximately 2 hours since omelette dinner), hubby and I have yet to cover our noses, and we are keeping our fingers crosssed that we can pass a pleasant and peaceful night! Goodnight.....