Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Ever heard this one about Chicken Feet?

Chicken-Feet
Whenever hubby and I order dim sum, I never fail to order the braised chicken feet in black bean sauce. It is truly one of my hot favourites, and the best thing is I get the whole dish to myself since hubby shudders at the thought of chewing on chicken feet.

Which reminds me that whilst 'dim-summing' once with a couple of whacky friends, one of them quipped that he never eats chicken feet cos' they don't wear shoes! On hearing that, another retorted that he shouldn't eat chicken breast then cos' they don't wear bras!! .. Duhh!

For those who truly worry about the chicken running bare foot, let me assure you that before the feet are cooked, the outer scaly lining (not the fleshy skin) covering the feet is pulled away and the nails are chopped off. Chicken feet which have been properly braised is wonderfully tender with meat and skin that just melts in your mouth, having incredibly soaked in the full flavors of the braising liquid and seasoning. Whether you start with the fleshy pad of the foot, or choose instead to nibble the toes, claw by claw, there are no rules to eating chicken feet save for that unique ritual at the end of spitting out the little bones!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh! I love "Feng Jao" too!

7/26/2005 08:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the taste and the texture but the claws freak me out. I will only eat the portion above the foot.

7/26/2005 12:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha your friends are funny!

chicken feet's one of those chinese delicacies i refuse to eat (and i call myself a foodie? haha), not because it looks scary or anything, but it's just alot of skin, and i'm not a fan of soft chicken skin. :P

7/26/2005 05:57:00 PM  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Yeah for chicken feet especially those ones in dim sum as they taste the best!

7/26/2005 07:19:00 PM  
Blogger eat stuff said...

hmm I have never tried them!
Casey has and he isn't that big of a fan and our singaporian friend who we go with doesn't like them! But she did get me to eat tripe ....hmmm

7/26/2005 07:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, I laughed out loud reading friend number two's retort. Priceless!

That said, despite being tempted countless times by the delicious aroma, I'm still too chicken to eat chicken feet in black bean sauce. :P

7/27/2005 01:06:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hiya all, hear hear for those who are already in love with these claws! for u guys who have yet to try it, if u ever decide to try it, close ur eyes, switch off ur brains and just enjoy!

7/27/2005 01:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it!!!! Also, Duck feet!!!! Still haven't figured out which I like better. I guess I'll just have to keep on eating both till if figure that out. -lance

7/27/2005 04:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! good to meet u too! though we should DEFINITELY chat more at the NEXT *cross fingers* flogger gathering...
and i'd like to say i'm CRAZY about these as well! my grandma braises chicken feet in a simple soy sauce based thingie.. and it's FANTASTIC. YUM!

7/27/2005 04:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A dim sum experience is never complete unless I order this dish. I love it too!

7/29/2005 09:31:00 AM  
Blogger Joycelyn said...

hi cath, hmm, yummy, chicken feet are delish - the perfect package of skin and gelatinous cartilage...

7/30/2005 12:54:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi lance - haven't tried duck feet but have tried goose web-feet in Shanghai - really loved them :)
hi daffy - wish your grandma could cook me some too!!
hi anon - same sentiments over here :)
hi j - nice to hear from u again :)

7/31/2005 08:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hullo; you have such a nice blog!

I adore braised chicken feet and it's become something of a weekly ritual for me to have a breakfast of good steamed rice and chicken feet at this Chinese restaurant near my office. When cooked right, those bony feet are sublime!

Toes first and the fleshy pad next works best for me!

8/16/2005 03:53:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi midge - welcome! visited ur blog too, very intrigued by the banana ketchup???

8/16/2005 10:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home