Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A Moment in Time

A long long long time ago, a little girl gazed intently at her birthday cake....

Childhood

.....and in retrospect many many years later on, a hint of the beginnings of a 'food-lover' can surely be traced back to that once-upon concentrated gaze!

During the seventies, film cameras were still not that common among ordinary-folk and not many families owned their own cameras. Photos of my childhood were usually taken by professional photographers or family-friends either at their photo-salons or requested by my parents to come to our home and capture those special celebrations. Such childhood photos are few in number and thus more precious, especially as the years go by.

Looking back at this nostalgic photo, there is a little tug at the heart as I try to remember that little 4-year old girl all decked up with hair nicely parted and combed down, staring down into this huge two-tiered cake having just blown off her candles...... an obedient little girl just waiting for the darned photographer to finish his shot and mummy to come and slice the cake quickly.

To all parents reading this, I probably don't need to tell you that there are never enough photographs of your little ones as they travel through life's journey. Yes, they may complain now and then whenever they see you bring out the camera to take a snap of them... but, years from now, when the moment has passed never to return, they will thank you for capturing a fragile memory of a precious moment!

12 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

What a sweet memory captured on film! What a cake--wow!!!

5/31/2006 01:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cath that snapshot is a precious memory indeed. Lovely tonality to those old black & whites.

5/31/2006 09:15:00 AM  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Wow! Really nice. Maybe I shld dig up some old b&w pixs of mine. I know I have one when I was 1 yr old. Er, Cath is it yr birthday? If it is, happy birthday ok?

5/31/2006 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That's a cute picture!

Yes, you are right, we, children, are very happy whenever we find a new picture of our childhood and collect each of them preciously...

5/31/2006 02:25:00 PM  
Blogger Audrey Cooks said...

It's true, that's why I try my best to capture shots of happy moments for my daughter memories. I had lotsa photos while growing up cos my late father was a good photographer, even had his own dark room... Photos help us remember our childhood clearer.

5/31/2006 09:28:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks fran, and yeah, it does look like a 'wow'cake but I was too young to remember exactly how great it was!

pfong, totally agree that black and white photos from those days have a really nice tint to them (not entirely sepia and yet not entirely B&W either).

boo_licious, do show us some photos of your earlier years.. not my birthday though but thanks for the well-wishes, which I will keep until the birthday comes around :)

rosa, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one hunting those old photos down!

audrey, do keep snapping.. your daughter will remember fondly all those special moments one day!

5/31/2006 11:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful! that was some sweet memories you got. :)
not many can afford photographers or photo salon as well.

6/01/2006 12:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Memory is such a precious thing isn't it. Just think what incredible memories are being recorded to day with digital cameras (stills & movies) and don't forget blogs! Blogs are going to be a very rich resource for families. Beautiful cake for a beautiful little girl. Isn't it a joy to find some small part of her inside.

6/01/2006 03:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi cath, thx for dropping by! actually i've been a silent reader & avid fan of yr blog and i drop by regularly. i love the recipes u provide, but more importantly, i dig your photography skills! all yr photos are so well taken, i wish im able to take great photos like u!

but anyway how did u come to know abt my blog, juz curious? =)

6/01/2006 06:56:00 AM  
Blogger the cook without an oven said...

wow... I wonder where my childhood photos are kept :) thanks for hopping by.. I have came across your blog a couple of times n am still in the process of being able to whip up nice and really yummalicious food hehe.. hoping to try out your recipes one day once I have mastered the basics :) love your photos!!

6/01/2006 01:09:00 PM  
Blogger Joycelyn said...

hi cath, wonderful post and great picture (or should i say, pictures :)) looking at those little biscuits really made me nostalgic too - my favourite thing as a kid was to eat the coloured icing first before nibbling on the rest

6/01/2006 05:36:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi slurp!.. it helps if your parents have friends who are professional photographers themselves!

tanna, ur so right about the blog and digital photos.. as for that little girl, I pray that a little part of her remains in me all the time!

hi evan, thanks for dropping by so often.. I was doing a technorati search and noted your link to my blog.. btw, thanks for the link :D

thanks, cook, keep up those adventures in the kitchen!

hi J, I do believe that that was the only fun way to eat these gem biscuits, LOL!

6/01/2006 10:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home