The Saute Pan Christening!
- marinade consisted of equal portions of mirin and soy sauce, grated ginger, a tablespoon or more of red miso, sugar and lemon juice
- salmon was marinated for at least half an hour in fridge
- the 'bmw' was heated up, oiled and salmon slices placed skin side down (the fish cooked beautifully)
- dressing for salmon was made from equal parts soy sauce and mirin and a tablespoon of sugar, which I poured into pan (after removing salmon steaks), simmered until syrupy or partially caramelized.
- hubby loved the marinade sauce - looks like this could end up as a regular entree on our family table... a cloud of great satisfaction descended on the cook.
Red miso (fermented red soybean - follow link to Cook's Thesaurus on aka miso/sendai miso, page displays a whole bunch of other soy products that is truly illuminating for a non-vegan/ non-vegetarian) can be bought in small tubs from the local supermarkets (look in the Japanese section - I found mine in Isetan supermarket) and it has a lovely rich taste to it. I wonder whether the marinade can be successfully used for turbo-broiled chicken wings? hmmm?